Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Rome

I just got back from Rome for a global business meeting with our sales leadership. It was a great conference and I got to do a little bit of sightseeing as well. Ancient Rome, Papal Rome, and Modern Rome each are amazing but their literal coexistence is what makes this city so remarkable. In between 2-3 hour meals and a lot of walking I got to soak in a little of each of the many layers of the city. I can't wait to bring Anne here someday.

Here are a few pictures...

St. Peter's Basilica. It is in Vatican City, is built above where Peter is said to be buried and is probably the most famous church in Christendom. Notice the nativity scene and Christmas tree. It is still considered Christmas time and all the churches I saw had a nativity displayed.


Colosseum.... but I am sure you knew that one already. I loved this one. I think all the Hollywood drama helps me picture what this scene may have actually been like.



The Pantheon (Pan - All, Theos - Gods.... but Kyle could have told you that!) This was my favorite ancient site for a lot of reasons, not least of which is the engineering challenge it represents.


I loved the view from the Spanish Steps just above Piazza di Spagna. One of the reasons this area is famous for Americans is that Ernest Hemingway lived here for a while as he wrote. However, the biggest reason is probably the shopping. Gucci is the first store on the left. First on the right? Prada.

1 comment:

the andersons said...

How beautiful!!! And how cool you were able to go.